Being a gardener it becomes difficult for you to take care of all the plants, but it is essential as the plants will die because of low maintenance. One of the known plants is the bird of paradise which is famous for its attractiveness and features. If you know about it, then you might know one of the issues that are going on with these plants, i.e.; root rot. Now you might be wondering what root rot is. Learn more about the Bird of Paradise Root Rot problems, its Signs, Causes & How to Fix it.
- Root rot is one of the problems that are dangerous for plants as it makes them die. It is the disease that spreads in the plant and makes them weak.
- You might observe the signs of root rot in the bird of paradise, they can be small or big.
- There are various reasons behind the root rot of the Bird of Paradise such as because of soggy soil, dry soil, overwatering of the plant, fungal infections, yellowing plants, browning leaves, curling of leaves, and many more.
- If you want to prevent the plant from getting killed by root rot, then you need to fix these issues of bird of paradise root rot.
So, in this guide, you will see the signs and causes behind the bird of paradise root rot.Let’s begin this article so that you know about the prevention of the bird of paradise root rot. Stay connected for a proper understanding of the bird of paradise root rot.
What are the signs of Bird of Paradise root rot?
The bird of paradise is a beautiful plant that belongs to South Africa. It is amongst the decorative plants. But what if it gets infected by one of the reasons that you are unaware of it? So, let’s know about some of its signs so that you find the ways for curing them:
1. Brown roots show a sign
One of the major signs that will be seen by you is the soft or brown roots of the bird of paradise. Have you noticed it?
It happens as the plant gets infected by the root rot and with time it makes its roots brown and soft which is not at all a good sign. It shows that the plant is sick and not lively.
2. Diminutive Growth
The undersized growth of the plant is another sign that shows the root rot in the bird of paradise. When you observe that your plant is not growing anymore, then you will come to know that it is infected by root rot. It stops the growth of the plant which seems not good.
3. Have you seen the Dry soil?
If you noticed the dry soil in the bird of paradise, then you need to check the pot as it is not a good sign.
As when the soil becomes more dry than usual, then you tend to remove the soil as it gets infected by root rot which will ultimately soil your whole plant.
4. Yellow leaves or discolored leaves
Last but not least, another sign that shows the bird of Paradise root rot is the yellow or discolored leaves in the plant. Have you observed them?
If yes, then remove them to find ways to cure your plant as the foliage is getting spoiled and the other leaves will also begin to droop and wilt which will show that the root rot is increasing day by day.
What are the causes of the Bird of paradise root rot?
As you are aware of the signs of the bird of paradise root rot, it is the right time to know about some of its causes so that prevention can be taken. So are you ready to move forward to know more about these causes? Let’s begin with the help of the following points:
1. Regular overwatering
Watering is important for the plants so that they grow well but when it becomes in excess then it spoils the plant. Birds of paradise need to be in moist soil for their survival. Soggy soil does not like them, so you need to fix it.
2. Lack of sunlight
Providing sunlight to your plant means feeding them so that they give the desired results. Are you doing so properly? If yes then you won’t face any problems like root rot.
But if not, then you will observe the problems of root rot in your plant. When the plants do not receive plenty of sunlight for their growth, then they begin to spoil.
3. Lack of nutrients
Another cause of the bird of paradise root rot is the improper supply of nutrients to the soil which is why the plant faces the root rot.
Don’t you think so? Yes, it is true. With time it will make the plant tissue die by making the stems of the plant weak.
4. Unnecessary contact with the plant
When you touch the plant continuously, it feels irritated, yes it is true. It provides structural harm to the plant.
Physical touch tends to decrease the growth of the plant. So try to avoid it so that you get desired results from the plant.
How to Fix the Bird of paradise root rot?
Finally, the most awaited topic is here as prevention is always better than cure. So you need to know about some of the ways that can help in fixing the bird of paradise root rot. Below are the ways that will help you in doing so:
- You need to water your plants regularly but make sure you are not watering them in excess. Try to water them once a week.
- Provide them the soil which is not waterlogged as they will infect that. So, provide them with moist soil for their growth.
- Make sure you are avoiding overwatering.
- Plants and nutrients thrive well so it is your responsibility to feed them with one. Provide them with good fertilizer once a month.
- Sunlight requirements for this plant are not much, you just need to plant them in direct sunlight so that they thrive well and you get the desired results.
- You can check the soil by dipping a finger into it and if it is dry, provide them with water.
- Even another way that can fix your plant is to repot your plant so that it removes the root rot that happened before.
In this guide, you observe that Root rot is one of the problems that are dangerous for plants as it makes them die. It is the disease that spreads in the plant and makes them weak. You might observe the signs of root rot in the bird of paradise, they can be small or big. There are various reasons behind the root rot of the Bird of paradise such as because of soggy soil, dry soil, overwatering of the plant, fungal infections, yellowing plants, browning leaves, and many more. Read the guide carefully for its proper understanding.
1. What’s wrong with my bird of Paradise?
Your bird of paradise might get infected by various diseases like root rot, and Rhizoctonia solani which make the roots of the plant weak and make them die.
2. Why does my bird of Paradise have brown spots on its leaves?
When you observe brown spots on the leaves of the bird of paradise then it is sure that leaf spot issues will slowly kill the plant and you will regret them later, so cure it only.