Have you observed Black Spots on Aloe Plant? Are you worried about that? The aloe vera plants are succulents and the leaves of aloe vera have a tendency to hold much water. The plants can tolerate harsh conditions as well. The Aloe vera plants will show discoloration in the leaves and dark spots if aloe vera plants are under the stress.
- Aloe vera plants can exist really well in dry soil and withstand the scarcity of water for many days but not for too long.
- Aloe vera plants will show symptoms due to many conditions.
- Some of the causes of black spots on aloe plants are overwatering, less supply of water, excessive sunlight, humidity stress, Temperature issues, and many more explained below.
- Aloe vera plants, with the scientific name Aloe barbadensis miller, are common houseplants due to so many benefits regarding health and skin & also for their beautiful blooming.
But if your aloe vera plants are showing dark spots, then you got to see further about the causes and their treatments. In this article, you will also understand how to prevent dark spots on aloe vera plants.
Why are aloe vera plants showing dark spots?
The dark spots on leaves indicate some kind of infection that might have occurred due to fungal growth, and other issues related to sunlight, watering, and humidity.
The aloe plants need about 10-12 hours of sunlight, many times the stressful aloe vera plants get easily affected by the pest’s attack. Pests like spider mites and aphids thrips suck the sap from the aloe plants making the green color fade away. Before going towards the causes, make sure to verify the plant as aloe vera as there are a lot of plants that look like aloe vera but they aren’t.
Causes of Black Spots on Aloe Plant
The aloe plant has dark spots due to the following reasons:
1. Overwatering the aloe plants
The aloe plants when are overwatered there is a sure thing that dark spots will appear on aloe plants. The aloe vera when watered frequently becomes weak.
The aloe needs sunlight for most of the time in the day and this makes gardeners water them a little more and this is how overwatering occurs.
The aloe vera plant needs light watering during the day but doesn’t underwater them. Overwatered aloe vera looks mushy and the leaves start to show dark spots.
2. Pests are affecting the plants
The pests love the sap of aloe vera plants. The holes on the aloe vera eaves can also be an indication pests attack as pests eat the sap of aloe vera. Pests like aphids mainly attack the aloe vera
Pests like aphids mainly attack aloe plants. Mealybugs, mites, and even insects affect the aloe plants. The aloe becomes weak with time and shows dark spots that show the slowing up of the basic survival processes of the aloe plant.
“Aloe vera is known for its antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties”– By Dreamstime
3. Fungal infection has taken over aloe vera
The aloe vera plants being mushy and weak easily lead to the growth of fungus around them. The fungal infections make the root rot as well, not leaving the stem healthy.
The aloe will show black spots as the roots fail to absorb the nutrients properly.
4. Not getting enough sunlight
The aloe vera plants need good sunlight in a day for about 6-7 hours and the aloe plants will thrive well if the light is not that strong. But do take care in case of sunburnt symptoms of aloe plants.
If the spot is shaded, the aloe plants will slow down in their reactions for growth and staying healthy.
5. Pot is bothering the aloe plant
The pot if it is plastic will make the drainage really bad and harm the roots indirectly. The aloe plant grows with time and if the pot size is not of proper size then the roots will fail to extend well so, you need to root and transplant the aloe plant carefully and absorb the nutrients and water. Leaves will become droopy and discoloration will occur.
How to treat dark spots on aloe plants?
Follow the below-mentioned tips to treat dark spots on aloe plants:
1. Get rid of pests and diseases if any
Diseases like anthracnose, leaf blight disease, and leaf spot, can cause dark spots on the aloe plants. To shield the aloe vera plants use fungicides and avoid overwatering.
Use neem oil or soap solutions to get rid of aphids or pests on the aloe plants.
2. Choose the right spot for aloe vera
The spot should get sufficient sunlight that is bright but not too intense as the plant will start to wilt. Make sure you give some shade during the strong sun rays and move the plant inside when it is cold outside.
3. Check the soil
Let the soil get dry before you moist the soil further. Don’t keep the leaves wet for long.
4. Choose a right pot
Use a terracotta pot and the pot that has proper drainage holes. The plant should easily get drained and won’t stay clogged in the soil. Avoid using plastic pots.
How do you prevent black spots on aloe plants?
- Keep the indoor aloe plants near the west-facing windows getting indirect sunlight.
- Check if the humidity is too low, the leaves will look dull and dry. Use a humidifier to maintain the humidity at an optimum level.
- Water the aloe vera plant deeply, and check if the top 1-2 inches of soil is moist and soil is drained well or not.
- Keep the surrounding plants clean, throw the waste away, and get rid of weeds.
- Cover the aloe vera plants with sheets if the temperature is low.
- Remove the affected leaves from the plants to save them plant from getting sick.
Wrapping up the Context
In this guide, you come to know that Aloe vera plants can exist really well in dry soil and withstand the scarcity of water for many days but not for too long. The aloe vera plants will show symptoms due to many conditions. Some of the causes of black spots on aloe plants are overwatering, less supply of water, excessive sunlight, humidity stress, Temperature issues, and many more explained.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!
1. Why is my aloe plant turning black?
If the aloe plant goes black that means the soil is waterlogged and the drainage is poor. Check the drainage of the soil, and add sand to increase the drainage. Avoid overwatering the aloe vera plant and give the plant a good amount of sunlight. Let the soil get dry before watering.
2. How often do you water aloe vera?
Aloe vera needs water but not frequently. Lightly watering the aloe vera plant is a great way to start. Though the young aloe vera plant water also deeply and not frequently again. Water the aloe vera plants every 2-3 weeks deeply making the top 2 inches wet. Water the aloe vera plant sparingly in the winter season.
3. How do you treat aloe vera fungus?
The fungus in case affects aloe vera, you can use the powdered fungicide on the bothered plant’s parts after cutting the drooping leaves that are looking dull. Wrap the affected areas with clean wet tissue paper. Using fungicide over the affected parts will not let the spores spread further.
- How to use Coffee Grounds for Roses? (Is it good for roses?) - May 20, 2023
- How to get rid of Aphids on Roses naturally? (Best Tried Methods) - May 20, 2023
- Panama Roses – Grow and Care tips for Panama Rose Flower - May 20, 2023