Welcome back! I hope you are doing great in your gardening field. Today I was wondering why I have not grown Codiaeum varieties in my home garden. So, I thought of doing so. In this guide, you will come to know about the process of growing Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’.
Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’ is one of the evergreen plants that is a famous houseplant as it tends to develop green foliage. It will cherish you with its magical leaves.
So, let’s get started.
|Common name||Croton Mammy, Mamey Croton|
|Sunlight||Bright indirect sunlight|
|Soil used||Rich, quick-draining, loamy|
|Water requirements||Water if the top 2 inches of soil are dry|
|Pruning||In early spring|
|Mature size||42 inches as a houseplant|
|Bloom Time||Summer and Autumn|
How to grow Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’?
Growing Codiaeum Variegatum is somehow tricky but not difficult with the help of this guide. So, without wasting time, let’s proceed to know its steps:
Through stem cuttings:
Step 1- First, you have to collect your materials like scissors, containers, water, old plants, etc.
Step 2- Take a stem from the mother plant including 2-3 leaves on it.
Step 3– Additionally, you can dip the cuttings in the water and add some fertilizer to it.
Step 4- After observing its growth at 2 inches, it’s time to plant it.
Step 5- Take a good container and add well-drained soil to it and add sprouts to it.
Step 6- Do not cover them wholly, place them in a warm place to grow well.
Step 7– East-facing window would be good for them and when they grow more, you can put them in bright but indirect sunlight.
- Water your plant every week.
- Fertilize your plant one time in the springtime.
- Make sure not to fertilize in wintertime.
- Provide them with a high level of humidity.
- Before watering, check the moisture of the soil.
How to care for Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’?
Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’ plant tends to grow int he humid areas as it originated from the South Pacific islands. Provide this plant with sufficient sunlight, water, temperature, and pruning so that it grows well.
- Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’ likes to grow in the bright indirect sunlight that ranges between 10,000-20,000 lux.
- Make sure you are not exposing your plant to the full sun as it will ruin its leaves and your plant with time.
- You can provide your plant with a southeast window so that it can get the indirect sunlight fully.
- Last but not least, you can even make use of plant light if your plant is not getting enough natural sunlight.
- Another need of the plant is to be watered. But how much? Codiaeum Variegatum needs water more often than other plants.
- When the soil of the plant is moist, then it does not need water but yes when it’s dry, then is the right time to water your plants. So, water them 3-4 times a week.
- Make sure to keep the saucer empty always so that there remains no standing water in the plant.
- If you are using rainwater for your plants, you are doing appreciable as your plants love that water more than the tap water.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- These plants tend to thrive well if you provide them with a temperature range of 60 to 80ºF.
- For feeding them in a more humid temperature, you can place them on the balcony.
- The ideal humidity level for these plants is above 80% all around the year.
- Making use of a small humidifier will also let your plants grow more.
- The level of humidity should not go below 40% as it is not good for the plants.
- Last but not least, you can make use of a pebble tray filled with water to increase the level of humidity for your plants.
- Codiaeum Variegatum will grow best in a well-drained and organic mix which will enhance the beauty of the plant.
- These plants like rich potting mix for their growth and the best pH level for these plants is 4.5 to 6.5 which is slightly acidic.
- Also, making use of peat moss or sphagnum moss will be gerat for your plant.
- Pour some perlite into your plant so that it provides nutrients to the plant.
- Fertilizer is needed by every plant so that it grows well at a faster pace.
- You can make use of a granular fertilizer that has a ratio of 20-3-19.
- You have to fertilize your plant 2-3 times a year, especially at the time of springtime and summer.
- Before watering your plant, you have to pour fertilizer on the soil surface so that it spreads equally.
Potting & Repotting
- Codiaeum Variegatum needs to be repotted after every 2-3 years.
- Make sure you are choosing a pot that has good drainage holes so that the excess water drains out.
- Ensure to choose the pot that is bigger than the previous one so that the plant grows there comfortably.
- Repotting is needed by plants when it overgrows and the roots are coming out from the drainage holes.
- Codiaeum Variegatum needs to be pruned so that the growth of the plant does not look messy.
- Another motive of the pruning is to remove all the dead and affected leaves from the plant.
- You must use a sharp and sterilized knife or scissors for your plant to prevent infection.
- Do not cut off more than 1/3rd of foliage from your plant as it will lead to damage plant.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you coem to know about how to grow and care for Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’. Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’ is one of the evergreen plants that is a famous houseplant as it tends to develop green foliage. It will cherish you with its magical leaves. I hope you are clear with the process of growing Codiaeum Variegatum ‘Croton Mammy’ and also how to maintain them. For any queries, you can scroll down the guide and I know you will be clear.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!