Hey folks! Welcome back!
I hope your garden is prospering and touching the sky with your efforts. Do you know How to Grow and Care for New Guinea Impatiens? In this guide, you will learn about the process of growing the New Guinea Impatiens and some of the caring tips for their maintenance.
Hey gardeners, we are back with another amazing flower plant that you will cherish. Do you like colors or are you into colorful things? If yes, then we are here with a great topic as you can read above. You might have grown all the flowers and plants but if you want your garden area to look more colorful, then you are at the right place as New Guinea Impatiens are an outstanding option for you.
- Guinea Impatiens are beautiful flowers with a wide range of varieties.
- People tend to grow them in the outdoor garden as per their choice, they can be grown in the ground, in pots, etc.
- They love to grow in the shade and need light for some hours to develop blossoms.
- If you have grown any variety of impatiens before, then you will see that there is not much difference between these varieties. But this variety of impatiens adds a style to your garden with its colorful blossoms.
Have you heard of this flowering plant before? What else do you need? You are getting such a colorful environment from this plant.
Let’s begin to know about the steps that are involved in the growth of new guinea plants and tips for growing them like the Musk Mallow plant.
|Common Name||New Guinea impatiens|
|Botanical Name||Impatiens hawkeri|
|Size||12–18 inches tall, 6–9 inches wide|
|Sun Exposure||Full, partial|
|Soil Type||Moist, but well-drained|
|Soil pH||Acidic (6.0 to 6.5)|
|Bloom Time||Spring, summer, fall, winter|
|Hardiness Zones||Zones 10-12 (USDA)|
|Native Area||New Guinea|
What are New Guinea Impatiens?
This variety of impatiens is also known as Impatiens hawkeri. It tends to give larger blossoms and a colorful tint to your garden as compared to other varieties of impatiens.
It has beautiful shades of orange, red, white, pink, etc. They can attain a height of 3 feet long and with their bright foliage can lighten up the garden area.
It has foliage in various tints like purple, green, bronze, etc. You can grow beautiful guineas impatiently at the edges of your garden so that it gives a great border. Don’t let your children intake this plant as it can cause any disease.
Types of New Guinea Impatiens
Below are the types of New Guinea impatiens:
‘Celebration Bright Salmon’
- It is one of the varieties that will produce salmon, and pink flowers in the plant.
- It is one of the fast Grower plants.
- You will observe its height of about 16 inches tall.
‘Celebration Blush Pink’
- It is another variety that will produce large-shaped flowers in the plant.
- It comes in various shades of pink that contrast amazingly with the foliage in the plant.
- It will grow about 16 inches long.
‘Applause Orange Blaze’
- This variety will develop orange-colored flowers in the plant.
- It produces variegated foliage in the plant.
- Its mature plant will grow about 1 foot tall and even wide.
- They are cold tolerant as they can be the colder nights.
‘Celebration Raspberry Rose’
- This Plant is famous for raspberry pink-colored blooms.
- It will produce dark green pointed leaves in the plant.
- It will also grow about 16 inches high.
- As the name shows the plant will produce orange-colored flowers in the plant.
- It will contrast well with the dark green-colored foliage of this plant.
- Like other varieties, it will also grow 16 inches long.
‘Celebration Lavender Glow’
- It is one of the varieties that produces lavender pink color flowers in the plant.
- That looks amazing with the dark green-colored foliage in the plant.
- You will observe the height of this plant of about 16 inches long.
- Last, but not least, it is one of the shades-loving plants.
- It tends to produce lavender purple-colored blooms in the plant that look attractive.
- Also, at the time of summer and even fall, they will bloom all along in the season.
- You will observe its height of about 14 inches tall and will spread about 14 inches wide.
How to Grow and Care for New Guinea Impatiens?
Though you can grow the new guinea impatiens in the ground, what about growing them in a container or pot? Hanging pots on the walls will look more attractive and eye-catching.
So, follow the below steps to know about its process of growth:
Step 1- Firstly, you have to take a container or pot of your choice.
Step 2- Then, you need to fill it with the soil, and pebbles for better drainage.
Step 3- Take the potting soil and fill it in half in the container.
Step 4- Put your new guinea plant (that you purchased from the market) in the pot or container.
Step 5- After doing this, you have to cover your root cubes by taking potting soil and filling it with it.
This is how you are done with the process of growing your new guinea impatiens at home easily. Just follow the caring tips for thor long-lasting effect. It will be mentioned below.
How to care for New Guinea Impatiens?
After propagating any plant, it is important to maintain that plant so that it provides you with a long-lasting effect. So, for that, you need to be aware of the caring tips for the plant that you have grown. Below are the tips for the maintenance of the new guinea impatiens:
- You have to water your new guinea impatiens regularly.
- They need to take water frequently so that they grow well.
- Make sure not to let the soil dry for long as it can harm the plants.
- Do not overwater them.
For more such plant-related articles, you may also read, How to Grow Dahlias In Pots? (Successful Secret Tips)
- Do new guinea impatiens need well-drained soil for their growth? Of course, yes.
- They need the acidic soil pH which should be in the range of 6.0 to 6.5.
- It will retain moisture. You can provide them with organic matter.
- Do you know the amount of sunlight needed by your new guinea impatiens?
- They need to be placed in an area where they can receive sun in the morning time and also shade in the evening time.
- They love to be in the shade but also need partly sun during the day for their growth.
Temperature and Humidity
- The Temperature requirements of this plant are not too demanding.
- The ideal range of temperature for this plant lies between 70 to 85°F.
- They will prefer to grow in a high level of humidity, so you have to provide them with that area.
- You do not have to plant them outdoors until the frost passes away.
- What about the fertilizer requirements of this plant? It will bloom All along if you provide them with a good amount of fertilizer.
- They require supplemental fertilizer, so you can give a dose to your plant.
- After every 3 to 4 weeks, provide your plant with a dose of fertilizer.
- Also, you can mix the compost in the soil at the time of planting.
- If you’re growing this plant as perennial, then you can fertilize them at the time of early and late in the season.
- This plant requires to be trimmed off at the time of the middle of the summer.
- It will help the plant to produce more and more flowers and look attractive.
- You have to remove all the dead and decaying leaves and flowers from the plant.
- Then observe the leggy growth in the plant, and if there is then remove that.
- Keep in mind not to cut them more than 6 inches.
Potting and Repotting needs
- For potting this plant, you have to choose a new container that has a good amount of drainage holes in it.
- For good humidity in the plant, you have to place a tray that is filled with pebbles at the bottom of the pot.
- Then you have to gently separate the roots from the other container.
- Also, remove the soil from the roots so that it thrives well in the new container.
- You have to keep watering your plant until the water flows out from the drainage holes.
Where to Plant New Guinea Impatiens?
Before proceeding, it is important to know where to plan this variety you have to plan this variety in the area where there is partial shade. Also, provide them with a good amount of well-drained and consistent soil that remains moist. They can even tolerate full sunlight or shade.
Feeding them with organic material like manure or compost and mixing it in the soil will benefit the soil. choose the slightly acidic soil. This variety can grow well in the containers or even in the hanging baskets.
People used to group them in the flower beds which also looked attractive. Some of the corners tend to grow them as borders like near the walkways or pools that look stunning.
As they will not spread much, so will not take up more of the space in your area. So you can plant them with good plants that do not bloom and they will change their color with time.
When to Plant New Guinea Impatiens?
The right time to plant the New Guinea impatiens is at the time of late spring. Do you know the best way to plant the New Guinea impatiens in your home garden? If yes, then it’s awesome but if not, you should know about it.
You have to place this plant as annuals in the flower beds. Then separate them with the same distance from each other, and by digging a hole in the soil about double the size of the root ball.
You can make use of compost and a good amount of slow-release fertilizer for your plant at the time of planting. Keep in mind not to plant this variety at the time of summer.
When the heat is at its peak, you have to provide them with a good amount of water. When you plant. This variety in your home garden also provides a layer of mulch to the soil.
How to Get New Guinea Impatiens to Bloom?
New Guinea impatiens will grow best and will begin to bloom faster if you provide them with a location where they receive sunlight for their growth.
They require sunlight in the time of morning and shade in the time of afternoon. Providing a plan with eight hours of sunlight in a day will help them maximize their flowers.
Last, but not least, you have to maintain a good moisture level in the plant as it also affects the blooming system of a plant. Keep in mind not to let the soil waterlogged as it will begin to produce droopy flowers in the plant.
Binding up the context
In this article, you come to know about the new guinea impatiens. It tends to give larger blossoms and a colorful tint to your garden as compared to other varieties of impatiens. It has beautiful shades of orange, red, white, pink, etc.
They can attain a height of 3 feet long and with their bright foliage can lighten up the garden area. It has foliage in various tints like purple, green, bronze, etc. You can grow beautiful guineas impatiently at the edges of your garden so that it gives a great border. So what are you waiting for? Start the process of growing the new guinea impatiens in your yard.
Should you cut back New Guinea impatiens?
Yes, you can cut back New Guinea impatiens for their new growth. After a few weeks of cutting, they will start to produce new branches that will give beautiful blossoms.
Where do New Guinea impatiens grow best?
New Guinea impatiens can grow their best if you plant them in a place that gives sunlight in the morning time and also shades in the evening time. This will encourage the growth of these plants.
How long do New Guinea impatiens last?
If you maintain this flowering plant, then it will give you a long-lasting effect. They will bloom in the springtime. They will reach 3 feet in height which will attract the viewers.
Becky Decker, our esteemed Editor-in-Chief, is a passionate gardener with years of experience in the world of horticulture. With her guidance, GardeningHood.com aims to be your trusted companion on your gardening journey.
Becky Decker’s expertise and gardening wisdom have been recognized and featured in various prominent publications, including:
Experience & Background
Becky Decker’s love for gardening has been a lifelong journey. She has honed her skills through countless seasons of planting, nurturing, and harvesting a wide variety of plants, flowers, and vegetables. Her deep-rooted knowledge is complemented by her Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture from the University of Green Valley.
Prior to leading GardeningHood.com, Becky worked as a garden consultant, helping countless individuals turn their outdoor spaces into vibrant, thriving gardens. Her experience spans over a decade, making her a trusted authority in the gardening community.
The Birth of GardeningHood.com
Inspired by her passion for gardening and her desire to share her expertise with a wider audience, Becky Decker launched GardeningHood.com in 2021. This platform serves as a hub for gardening enthusiasts of all levels, from beginners to seasoned pros.
At GardeningHood.com, we are committed to providing you with comprehensive guides, expert advice, and hands-on tips to help you achieve success in your gardening endeavors. Whether you have a small balcony garden or a sprawling backyard paradise, we have the information you need to make your garden flourish.
GardeningHood.com is more than just a gardening website; it’s a community of gardeners who share a common love for nurturing the Earth. Our mission is to empower you with the knowledge and resources to create beautiful, sustainable gardens that bring joy and tranquility to your life.
Join Us on This Green Journey
We invite you to explore GardeningHood.com and embark on your gardening journey with us. Whether you’re seeking advice on planting techniques, pest control, landscaping ideas, or the latest gardening trends, you’ll find it all right here.
Connect with us, ask questions, and share your gardening stories. Together, we’ll cultivate a thriving community of gardeners and help each other make the world a greener, more beautiful place.
Let’s dig in and grow together at GardeningHood.com, where gardening dreams bloom!