Hey folks!! Welcome back!!!
Today I was walking peacefully in my garden and I wondered why I had not grown Pilea Mollis in my home garden. You know it is one of the finest plants that should be added to your collection.
Pilea Mollis is even known for its friendly nature with the other plants. Even though they do not ask for much maintenance like other plants, they tend to grow in narrow areas too. So what are you waiting for? Grow this amazing houseplant in your home garden to enjoy the benefits of its unique foliage.
Let’s get started.
|Common name||Pilea Mollis, Moon Valley Pilea, Friendship Plant|
|Sunlight||Bright indirect sunlight|
|Soil used||Rich, quick-draining, loamy|
|Water requirements||Water if the top inch of soil is dry|
|Pruning||During the growing season|
|Mature size||12 inches as a houseplant|
|Bloom Time||Late spring, early summer|
How to grow Pilea Mollis ‘Moon Valley’?
It is not difficult to grow a plant unless you put all your efforts into it. So, without wasting time, let’s get started to learn the steps of growing Pilea Mollis in your home garden to add more magic to your indoor collection:
Step 1- Firstly, you have to keep the collection with you which includes sterilized scissors, stems from the mother plant.
Step 2- Now you have to fill up the pot with vermiculite and mist it with some water for moisture.
Step 3- Put the potting mix in the container and keep the stem in it but avoid touching it with the ground level.
Step 4- Try to keep your plant in a bright room that does not let the full sun come in.
Step 5- Then you will observe roots on the stem after 2 weeks. Consistently water it for about one month.
Step 6– After five weeks you can transplant the plant in a new container with more space than the previous one.
How to care for Pilea mollis ‘Moon Valley’?
Pilea mollis will feed you with magical results if you provide them with sufficient amounts of sunlight, water, moist soil, high temperature, high level of humidity, etc. that will be discussed below. So, let’s know about some of the caring tips:
- Humidity and temperature
Let’s throw some light on all the caring tips in detail:
- This plant will thrive well in the bright indirect sunlight that filters itself from the tree’s canopy.
- They will grow best if you provide them with a sunlight range of 10,000-20,000 lux.
- East-facing windows will be good for them as they will grow at their best.
- Keep your plant away from the full sun as it will burn the plant leaves and slowly ruin your plant.
- Pilea Mollis ‘Moon Valley’ likes to grow in moist soil but not soggy soil as it spoils the roots and causes root rot in the plant.
- The thumb rule to check the soil’s moisture is by putting a finger inside the soil about 1 inch and if it’s dry, then you have to water the plant.
- Make sure not to let the water sit in the pot as it is not good for them.
- You have to make a balance between watering like it should not be overwatered and neither underwatered.
Humidity and Temperature needs
- The ideal temperature range for Pilea Mollis ‘Moon Valley’ is 65 to 80ºF. You have to provide them with this temperature so that it thrives well.
- Make sure not to keep the temperature below 55 degrees Fahrenheit as they will not bear that level.
- You have to keep your plant away from the cold drafts as it damages the plant.
- These plants like to be in a humid environment so providing them with more than 80% humidity will be best for them.
- Also, you can make use of a small humidifier for your plant to increase the level of humidity for your plants.
- Pilea Mollis tend to thrive in well-drained soil that can retain moisture and drain out the excess water from the soil.
- The ideal pH level for these plants is 5.0-6.0 which is slightly acidic.
- Also make use of your soil mix that is mixed with peat moss, sphagnum moss, perlite, compost, etc. to provide the plant with more nutrients.
- Last but not least, you can mix the perlite with the plant’s potting mix.
- fertilizer is needed by every plant to grow healthy and at a faster pace.
- The best ratio for Pilea Mollis liquid fertilizer is 10-10-10.
- You have to dilute the fertilizer so that it does not harm the plant, the mixture should be diluted half to its strength.
- When you water the plant, you have to feed your plant with fertilizer so that it spreads equally when the soil is moist.
Potting & Repotting
- This plant needs to be repotted after the tenure of 2 to 3 years when the plant overgrows and comes out from the drainage holes.
- Potting helps the plant to change the soil mix and add a new fresh potting mix, which gives more nutrients to the plants.
- When you repot the plant, you have to keep in mind to choose the pot that is bigger than the previous pot.
- Last, but not least, you have to choose the glazed pot that has a good amount of drainage holes and tends to keep the soil moist.
- Last, but not least, another caring tip for the Pilea Mollis is to prune the plant which helps the plant to gain its original shape.
- You can either make use of your fingers or scissors to spin off the leaves that are affected.
- You have to prune off the plants when they are growing actively
- Make sure not to cut the plant more than one-third of its foliage.
- Pruning is also done so that no pests or diseases can harm the plant.
Common problems of the Pilea Mollis ‘Moon Valley
Some of the problems being faced by the Pilea Mollis are as follows:
- Yellowing of the leaves
- Brown leaf tips
- Pests infestation
- Growing issues
- Less supply of sunlight
Guys all these problems can be prevented if you want to do so. That can be done with the help of the following preventive measures:
- Making use of horticultural oil for your plants once a month if it’s infected would be great.
- You can use rubbing alcohol dip cotton balls in it and rub them on the leaves of the plant.
- Misting your plants with sterilized water after a few days will keep the pests away from your plant.
Wrapping up the context
In this guide, you come to know Pilea Mollis which is even known for its friendly nature with the other plants.
Even though they do not ask for much maintenance like other plants, they tend to grow in narrow areas too.
So, read the whole guide to understand its process. Till then safe Gardening.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!