What is a Pitcher Plant? Are you a meat-lover or love carnivores? Folks, you will be amazed to know that if you love them, then you can grow a plant that can be a great addition to your garden. Not only will it look attractive but it will give you various benefits. As we all know carnivorous plants can become a great choice for you all to plant in your yard outdoors or indoors, it’s up to you. In this guide, you will come to know how you can grow the plant.
- This is the best bee repeller plant like other plants to keep bees away are Mint, Basil, Marigold, Pitcher plant, Geraniums, Pennyroyal, etc which will add a more eye-catchy look to your garden.
- You might not be familiar with the plant, you can easily propagate it like you grow other plants like Kabocha squash plant.
- The propagation of this plant can be done in various ways such as through seeds, through cuttings, it depends on you.
- This is a carnivorous plant that attains the shape of a tube and even tends to trap the insects.
- The tube inside is so slippery that the insects can move out and they come inside its water, the bacteria and enzymes digest the insects.
You have to put a little effort if you want to add this collection to your gardenDon’t you want to grow the amazing pitcher plant in your garden? Of course, you should, let us get started to know about it.
What is a Pitcher Plant?
Pitcher plants are those carnivorous plants that can digest insects. They trap the insects, indeed them by their leaves which have a vase or tube shape. It is filled with digestive fluid. The pitcher plant originated from the Nepenthaceae and Sarraceniaceae families.
Here are a few types of Pitcher Plants:
- Nepenthes alata
- Purple pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea)
- Cobra lily (Darlingtonia californica)
- Yellow pitcher plant (S. Flava)
- Parrot pitcher (S. psittacina)
How to grow a Pitcher Plant from Seeds?
This plant can be grown easily you need to follow the below steps:
Step 1- You have to plant the pitcher plants in the springtime.
Step 2- Make sure to use the nutrient soil, your soil contains a mixture of sand and organic material.
Step 3- If you are planting inside the house, you need to fill a jar with a mixture that contains a low fertility mixture.
Step 4- Ensure to put the pitcher plant in a place where they receive direct sunlight. Plant them in a cool area.
How to Care for a Pitcher Plant?
These plants need to be taken under supervision though they don’t need much maintenance. Let us know the crying tips for the pitcher plant so that it can remain long-lasting:
- You have to make sure that the plant is in a warm atmosphere as it grows best there. you can keep the plant indoors so that they can get that temperature for their maintenance.
- You have to add the fertilizers so that they can get nutrients from that. Whenever you see that the plant is producing pitchers anymore, then add a few drops of the fertilizer to the plant’s pitchers.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, What is a European Pear? – How to Grow & Care for European Pear at Home?
- You need to trim them when the leaves begin to become brown in the cold climate.
- Ensure that your plant seeks the attention of as many insects as possible so that they can feed themselves. You can even give bugs to your plants twice a year.
Wrapping up the context
In this article, you come to know about the Pitcher plants which are those carnivorous plants that can digest the insects. They trap the insects, indeed them by their leaves which have a vase or tube shape. It is filled with digestive fluid. I hope this article will be helpful for you all.
Is the pitcher plant indoors or outdoors?
Pitcher plants can be grown outdoors and indoors, but it is more suitable when planted indoors. It depends on the variety of the plant, as all tend to require their own needs.
How long do these plants live?
The pitcher plants can grow their new pitchers within themselves but if you won’t see them adding new pitchers you can add a few drops of dilute fertilizer. It can last up to a year depending on your maintenance towards them. Though the plant can remain alive for various years.
How long does it take a pitcher plant to grow a new pitcher?
You have to make sure that the plant doesn’t catch any fungus otherwise the pitchers will get destroyed. It takes approximately more than six months to produce a new pitcher.
- Organic Mulch: 10 Best Organic Mulches for Your Garden - September 26, 2023
- How to grow phlox from seed? Growing tips - September 25, 2023
- Chicken Manure: Ways to Compost Chicken Manure for Increasing Fertilization - September 23, 2023