What’s the Best Soil for Birds of Paradise Plants? Natives of South Africa’s coastal areas, Birds of Paradise (scientifically called strelitzia spp. ) are beautiful plants that have unique-looking flowers and the plants are low-growing. They need a good amount of sunlight and heat to yield blooms that are visible throughout the season once they mature.
- The birds of paradise need to be given proper soil mix to get good flower production and plant health.
- The soil that favors the growth of birds if paradise is more like a loamy and well-drained type.
- The soil should have an acidic to neutral pH in the range of 6-7.5 to keep it healthy and thriving.
It is important for all plants that soil needs to be fertile as the nutrients are the basic components for survival after water and sunlight. It is also suggested to use organic fertilizer or compost in the soil during the growing phase of the plant.
“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”– By Robert Louis Stevenson
What’s the best soil for birds of paradise plants?
The soil that has good drainage ability but not too much sand which will not let the water retention in the soil is good for a bird of paradise.
The soil should be fertile and hygienic which dont infect the roots. Loam soil has such characteristics with moderate drainage. The soil dont become soggy and is also not too dry.
Why loamy soil is good for the bird of paradise?
Though there are other options kike clayey soil, silty soil, and sandy soil why choose loamy soil for the bird of paradise?
The sandy soils have high drainage than other soils. This soil has high aeration and big pores between the soil particles making it more difficult to store nutrients and water than other soils.
The clayey soil has high water retention and the same goes for nutrients. This soil has poor drainage than other soils.
Loamy soils have properties of some sandy and some clayey soil in a balanced manner. You can also improve the texture of the soil by adding some other components into the soil like coco noir, peat moss, compost, perlite, shredded bark, sand, vermiculite, rocks, etc.
What soil ph do birds of paradise need?
Bird of paradise plants grows well in soil that has a pH of slightly acidic or neutral. The ph range that the bird of paradise favors is 5.5 to 7.
This range dont affect the bird of paradise in a bad way and also keeps bird of paradise happy to bloom beautiful plants.
Soil mixes available in the market
Following are some Soil sunrise bird of paradise potting soil:
1. The Noot mix potting soil:
- The noot mix potting soil is a good wide variety of container plants.
- The potting soil feeds for up to 6 months.
- It does not contain compost or bark also known to shelter fungus gnats.
- The presence of coconut coir makes the soil hold and releases water due to which the soil easily gets re-wet.
|Item weight||2.8 pounds|
|Item volume||6 quarts|
|click here to buy||Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Mix|
According to me, I will rate the soil mix up to 4.7 out of 5. The noot mix potting soil bag was easy to carry. It does have enough amount of soil in it. It is easy to use and is best for indoor plants. It is also ranked 22 in patio, lawn, and garden as best seller bank.
2. FoxFarm ocean forest potting soil mix
- This potting soil mix is a mixture of buffered coconut coir and perlite of 70:30.
- The soil mix is able known for water holding capabilities.
- The perlite in the soil mix provides air spaces in the media and helps in facilitating aeration and drainage.
- The coco coir and perlite are available in 70% Coco Coir and 30% Perlite.
|Item weight||30.1 Pounds|
|Click here to buy||FoxFarm ocean forest potting soil mix|
According to me, I will rate this product 4.4 out of 5. It is best for plants that do not like moisture. The fox farm ocean forest potting soil mix is lighter and fluffier. It does have the perfect mixture of nutrients and drainage. It has also ranked at 347 in garden soil.
3. Burpee organic premium potting mix
- Burpee Organic Premium Potting Mix is made up of plant food.
- It does also contain coconut coir.
- It is also in OMRI listed for organic use.
- You can use the growing mix for planting in containers.
- This soil is used to feed the plants that help provide a slow-release plant food that can feed for up to 3 months.
- The burpee organic potting mix contains coconut coir that helps to hold a suitable amount of water because the coconut coir is an organic and sustainable resource that maintains moisture.
- It is 100% guaranteed to ensure healthy seeds, plants, and gardening supplies.
You can use the flower and foliage of different heights in your container and you should place the tall plants in the middle or back of the container, mounting plants all around the containers and spilling plants need to be placed at the edge.
|Item Weight||3.96 pounds|
|Item model number||Premium Organic Potting Mix, 9 Quarts ||
|Product Dimension||4 x 16 x 12.6 inches|
|Click here to buy||Burpee organic premium potting mix|
According to me, I will rate the potting soil mix 4.6 out of 5. It is a trustable brand that contains plant nutrients. The pack of soil potting makes is very light and you can easily fill the holes by using it. it does occupy much space. There is no need to add anything to this soil mix. This soil mix also ranked at 6 in garden fertilizers.
4. Espoma Organic Potting Soil Mix
- This soil mix can be used for indoor potting and as potting soil for outdoor plants.
- This soil mix is a rich blend of sphagnum peat moss.
- It contains humus & perlite.
- This soil mix contains earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal & feather meal.
- You can easily use it for planting containers at any time.
- You also have to regularly re-potting and fresh planting soil for optimum growth.
- It does contain a rich blend of only the finest natural ingredients
|Style||Peat Moss, Potting Soil Mix, Planting Soil|
|Item Weight||1 Pounds|
|Item Volume||4 Quarts|
|Click here to buy||Espoma Organic Potting Soil Mix|
According to me, I will the Espoma organic potting soil mix. The soil mix is a light weighted, easy to use, and easy to spread to use to grow plants. It can be used for all indoor and outdoor containers. It is also ranked 74 in garden soil.
5. Miracle-Gro Expand ‘N Gro Concentrated Planting Mix
- It is great to use for garden soil or potting mix.
- They are widely used in the ground or in containers.
- Planting in the soil mix plants grows up to 3X bigger plants and feeds for up to 6 months.
- They are eligible to hold up to 50% of more water than other potting soil.
- If water is added to it it can expand up to 3x and is able to create up to 90 percent more air space.
|Manufacturer||The Scotts Company LLC|
|Item Weight||10.78 pounds|
|Dimensions||20 x 13 x 5 inches|
|Click here to buy||Miracle-Gro Expand ‘N Gro Concentrated Planting Mix|
According to me, I will rate this product 4.4 out of 5. The person who can not carry a heavy bag for them using this soil mix is best. But this soil is not good for the seeds as it does not contain seed starter components
6. Sun Gro Horticulture Black Gold
- The sun gro horticulture black good is used to give plants a strong start.
- It is made of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, worm castings, forest humus, and pumice and contains a multi-purpose, nutrient-rich mix that is good for all plants.
- They are made in the united states.
|Brand||Sun Gro Horticulture|
|Item Weight||4.9 Pounds|
|Item Volume||8 Quarts|
|click here to buy||sun gro horticulture black gold|
According to me, I will rate this product 4.6 out of 5. The bag is able to hold a good amount of material but not as much as you can store it. The soil does not contain any gnats or flies. The sun gro horticulture black gold in ranked at 304 in garden soil.
What fertilizer does the bird of paradise need?
The fertilizer in the soil will help the bird of paradise to get the needed nutrients and grow healthily. You can add organic fertilizer in the proportion of 1:1:1 like using manure, or controlled-release fertilizer which even the University of Florida recommends too. The plant must be given liquid fertilization in the initial growing phase.
What should be the pot size for the bird of paradise?
The bird of paradise can be planted or placed indoors which adds such beauty to the spot. The pot size should be accurate not too big for the plant and not too small.
The 14 inches pot is considered to be good for planting the bird of paradise.
Additions for potting soil
1. Peat moss
Peat moss is made from mosses and other living organic material getting decomposed in anaerobic spots like peat bogs.
It is dark brownish fibrous stuff and has high acidity. It provides aeration in the soil, with some nutrients.
Compost is a component that gives a boost to soil fertility. You can prepare the compost at home as well with plant parts, leaves, food scraps, and sawdust.
Compost has good water retention too if added to soil to sandy soil enhances the water hold.
These are the rock that is available on earth having a composition of calcium carbonate and magnesium. It is commonly composed of shells, and decomposed debris.
4. Perlite and vermiculite
Perlite adds porosity to the soil and is made from volcanic rocks. Vermiculite is another component that can be added to the soil for porosity, water retention, and the adding calcium, and magnesium into the soil.
“Trees are my favorite because they accept their circumstances with greater composure than most other living things.”– By Willa Cather
Sand has a high draining ability and large aeration than the other soil types.
6. Coconut coir
It involves the coconut husk that improves the drainage of potting mix. It also improves the aeration of the soil. It also adds nutrients to the soil.
- Add coconut coir or peat moss, one part of perlite, two tablespoons of limestone, compost, and two cups of sand into the soil.
- Mix the ingredients properly and uniformly.
- Adding water to the potting soil mix will make the blending process easier.
- You can use a bucket to mix the ingredients.
- Use the potting mix into the pot or the ground where the bird of paradise is planted.
Wrapping up the context
We hope you have got an idea of what soil type you will be using for birds of paradise plants. The plants need good fertile soil with a medium level of drainage. The soil should be moist and mulching has always proven to be beneficial for the bird of paradise plants. Follow the steps above and sleep the points in mind while planting the bird of paradise and using soil for it. Happy planting!
1. Is Miracle-Gro good for birds of paradise?
The answer is yes! You can use this water-soluble fertilizer for 14 days every month. The wintertime makes these plants go to rest and you need to fertilize less during this time.
2. Do birds of paradise like clay pots?
Bird of paradise is the plant that prefers a mix of clay in the loam soil so clay pots still can do well with the plants but make sure the pot should be 10-14 inches depending upon the height of the plant.