How often to water Snake Plant? Snake plants are one of the easiest plants to grow at home. Snake plants or Sansevieria are the ones that Americans love to grow in their home garden. These plants can be grown easily as they are low-maintenance plants. Have you grown these plants in your home garden? If not, then you should go for it as it will help you with your household work.
- They can be planted in your bedroom, in the lobby area, and even in the kitchen area. It will add elegance to your home garden.
- Maintaining a plant is important as it will give you results in the long run.
- When the plants do not receive proper facilities, then they become dull as they are not meeting their basic needs which are important for the growth of the plant.
- One of the issues faced by the farmers is the water supply to the snake plants. Watering is one of the vital elements that need to be fulfilled.
Do you know if you are providing a sufficient amount of water to your snake plants? In this guide, you will come to know about it. Snake plants thrive well if you feed them with water for about 10 -15 days. They do not like to remain dry as it can harm the growth of the plant. So, make sure you are providing plenty of water to your snake plants. So, let’s begin to understand how often to water the snake plants.
How often to water Snake Plant?
Snake plants are the best plants to grow at home. They are one of the houseplants that need to be maintained. Though they are not too demanding, it is obvious that they require water so that they thrive well. The plant becomes unhealthy sometimes, due to overwatering or underwatering.
So, here comes the need to know how often to water your snake plants. When your plant receives a good amount of sunlight, then they need more water in comparison than before. They need to be more dehydrated than before. But when they are in shade, then they need less water for their growth.
Overwatering can lead the plant to suffer from issues like yellow-colored leaves, root rot, etc which is not at all good for the growth of the plant. So, you have to keep in mind that you need to water your snake plants when they become fully dry. Let the soil become dry, then start your other water supply.
Being placed in the sunlight may not fulfill the watering needs of the snake plants. When you plant the snake plant in a big container, then they need more water. Watering of the plant depends on the size of the plant too. So, make sure you are planting them in indirect sunlight so that they thrive well. Water them on time by providing them with water when they need it. Provide them with regular water for about 10-15 days.
For more such plant related-articles, you may also read, 7 Snake Plant Problems and Disadvantages that you should know
When to Water Snake Plant?
It is crucial to know when to water the snake plants. The watering of the plant depends on various factors as it lets you know if the plant needs water or not. One of the easiest ways to know the time when to water the snake plant is that you can check the moisture of the plant. It will let you know if the plant needs water or not.
Make sure your hand is not dirty and you can use your hand or any pencil. Put it in the soil for about 2 inches deep and if it feels wet, then there is no need to water the plant. If the soil is dry, then you can water them as it shows that the plant needs water. Though the plant can survive without water for a long time, ensure you are not doing so.
Make sure your plant is not getting overwatered by any means. Lastly, it is suggested to check the moisture of the plant by digging a finger into it and if it is dry, then is the right time to water your snake plants.
Key points to remember while watering your plant
Below are the things that you need to remember when you water the snake plants:
- Make sure the soil is full.
- You can water the plant in the early morning time or late evening.
- Ensure you are giving a gap between watering the plants.
- Water them at the bottom, not directly on the leaves.
- Water in a way so that the roots gain them.
- Choose a big pot that has good drainage holes.
- Make sure you are avoiding over-watering your plant.
- You can check if the plants need water by checking their moisture.
- Observe the weight of the container as if it is light, then the plant needs water.
How Snake Plants Hold Water?
The snake plants are used to store water in the thick fleshy leaves which is why they are considered succulent. The snake plant is native to Africa and Southern Asia. You need to create the environment conditions the same as their native places. The plant are used to utilize a unique type of photosynthesis which is called
Crassulacean Acid Metabolism (CAM) helps in storing of the water, especially during extreme daytime temperatures. Utilizing this type of photosynthesis tends to open their stomata and exchange the gasses during the night so that it prevents evaporation.
As the snake plants do have a good water storing capability that makes them stand in drought also.
Snake Plant Benefits:
The following are some benefits of planting the snake plants as your houseplant:
- They are able to boost the beauty more when we compare them to other leaf plant
- The snake plants do come under the best indoor air purifier which helps to remove formaldehyde and nitrogen oxide from the air.
- Used to clean the air while you are sleeping that makes them perfect for planting in your bedroom.
- The snake plants do boost mental health by enhancing the sense of mental health as planting them does make people happy.
- The snake plants are able to survive in hot or cold climates or dry air and underwater.
- The plants are not used to be get attacked by pests.
Is there any sign of overwatering in the snake plant?
Yes, there are various signs of overwatering that you will observe in the snake plant as:
- The affected leaves will be yellow colored.
- Old leaves begin to fall over.
- Water gets collected in the container.
- The color of the roots begins to turn brown.
- A foul odor will come from the container.
- Roots will begin to feel a lack of oxygen.
- Observe the brown-colored spots on the leaves of the plant.
Signs Your Snake Plant is Underwatered
In case of missing the watering schedule for watering snake plants, they will begin to show signs of drying out.
Here are the signs that you will find in the plant if they are underwater.
- The leaves will begin to turn brown and crispy on the tips.
- The leaves of the plant will die.
- The soil of the plant gets hard and compacted.
in this case, you need to report the plant and use fresh soil for planting them again. In case of find any of these signs, you need to start regularly watering the plant which will bring the plant to life.
In this guide, you come to know that Snake plants or Sansevieria are the ones that Americans love to grow in their home garden. These plants can be grown easily as they are low-maintenance plants. They can be planted in your bedroom, in the lobby area, and even in the kitchen area. It will add elegance to your home garden. Maintaining a plant is important as it will give you results in the long run. But when the plants do not receive proper facilities, then they become dull as they are not meeting their basic needs which is important for the growth of the plant. Read the whole guide for its proper understanding.
Thanks for reading! Happy gardening!
Becky Decker, our esteemed Editor-in-Chief, is a passionate gardener with years of experience in the world of horticulture. With her guidance, GardeningHood.com aims to be your trusted companion on your gardening journey.
Becky Decker’s expertise and gardening wisdom have been recognized and featured in various prominent publications, including:
Experience & Background
Becky Decker’s love for gardening has been a lifelong journey. She has honed her skills through countless seasons of planting, nurturing, and harvesting a wide variety of plants, flowers, and vegetables. Her deep-rooted knowledge is complemented by her Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture from the University of Green Valley.
Prior to leading GardeningHood.com, Becky worked as a garden consultant, helping countless individuals turn their outdoor spaces into vibrant, thriving gardens. Her experience spans over a decade, making her a trusted authority in the gardening community.
The Birth of GardeningHood.com
Inspired by her passion for gardening and her desire to share her expertise with a wider audience, Becky Decker launched GardeningHood.com in 2021. This platform serves as a hub for gardening enthusiasts of all levels, from beginners to seasoned pros.
At GardeningHood.com, we are committed to providing you with comprehensive guides, expert advice, and hands-on tips to help you achieve success in your gardening endeavors. Whether you have a small balcony garden or a sprawling backyard paradise, we have the information you need to make your garden flourish.
GardeningHood.com is more than just a gardening website; it’s a community of gardeners who share a common love for nurturing the Earth. Our mission is to empower you with the knowledge and resources to create beautiful, sustainable gardens that bring joy and tranquility to your life.
Join Us on This Green Journey
We invite you to explore GardeningHood.com and embark on your gardening journey with us. Whether you’re seeking advice on planting techniques, pest control, landscaping ideas, or the latest gardening trends, you’ll find it all right here.
Connect with us, ask questions, and share your gardening stories. Together, we’ll cultivate a thriving community of gardeners and help each other make the world a greener, more beautiful place.
Let’s dig in and grow together at GardeningHood.com, where gardening dreams bloom!